Death of Gerry Adams Senior
-Whitewolf(Ray)
2003-11-17 19:17:53 UTC
Mr Gerry Adams senior, a veteran republican and a former prisoner, has died
after an illness at the Royal Victoria Hospital in west Belfast.

Sinn Féin President Mr Gerry Adams today cancelled his involvement in
Assembly election campaigning after his father died in hospital.

Mr Adams confirmed the news after pulling out of the party's manifesto
launch for the November 26th election. The West Belfast MP read a statement
from his family.

He said: ``My father died this morning. He was ill for some time and on
behalf of our family I wanted to thank staff at the Royal Victoria Hospital,
our family doctor and all who attended to him.

``This is the second bereavement in my family circle in the last week. I
will be cancelling public engagements at this time. I want to put on record
that we appreciate the support and solidarity of colleagues and comrades at
this time.''

Mr Adams senior was injured in a shoot-out with the the RUC in 1942. He was
charged with attempted murder and possessing an illegal firearm.

Before being sentenced to eight years he told the judge, Mr Justice Brown,
that ``as a soldier of the Irish Republican Army I do not recognise this
court''. On November 26, 1942, he became convict number 365C and entered
Belfast's Crumlin Road prison.

Following his release, he founded the Felons Association for former
prisoners in West Belfast with Joe Campbell, a fellow prisoner.

Last week Gerry Adams' sister-in-law also died.

Sinn Féin chief negotiator Mr Martin McGuinness expressed the party's
condolences to the family.

He said: ``On behalf of the Sinn Féin leadership and the wider republican
constituency I want to extend sympathy and solidarity to the Adams family
and to Gerry on the death of his father Gerry Adams senior this morning.

``Gerry Adams senior was well known throughout Belfast and further afield.
He was a republican prisoner in the 1940s. He was one of the founding
members of the Irish Republican Felons Association and a long time member of
the Belfast National Graves Association.

``He will be missed greatly by all of us who knew him but particularly by
his large family circle.

``I measc laochra na a raibh se.''

Republican News Source

I'd like to express my personal condolonces to Mr Adams at this time of
sadness...

Ray

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb
Email: ray-AT-eirefirst.com
Website: http://www.eirefirst.com
hmhawktoo
2003-11-17 20:46:54 UTC
Should have said it was for his own protection.
-Whitewolf(Ray)
2003-11-17 21:17:09 UTC
Post by hmhawktoo
Post by -Whitewolf(Ray)
Mr Adams senior was injured in a shoot-out with the the RUC in 1942.
He was charged with attempted murder and possessing an illegal
firearm.
Should have said it was for his own protection.
I hear ya, believe me I do, and so do a lot of other people too...

Murchadh
2003-11-18 02:54:02 UTC
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:17:09 GMT, "-Whitewolf(Ray)"
Post by -Whitewolf(Ray)
Post by hmhawktoo
Post by -Whitewolf(Ray)
Mr Adams senior was injured in a shoot-out with the the RUC in 1942.
He was charged with attempted murder and possessing an illegal
firearm.
Should have said it was for his own protection.
I hear ya, believe me I do, and so do a lot of other people too...
Ray
Walk around in Belfast with an illegal firearm, do you, Ray?

Murchadh.
-Whitewolf(Ray)
2003-11-19 15:21:58 UTC
Post by -Whitewolf(Ray)
Post by hmhawktoo
Post by -Whitewolf(Ray)
Mr Adams senior was injured in a shoot-out with the the RUC in 1942.
He was charged with attempted murder and possessing an illegal
firearm.
Should have said it was for his own protection.
I hear ya, believe me I do, and so do a lot of other people too...
Ray
Walk around in Belfast with an illegal firearm, do you, Ray?
Murchadh.
Not at all, not around Belfast, not around Ireland, not around America, I
don't own any illegal firearms...

Duke of URL
Ray
Dr Vivian Murstell II
2003-11-19 16:54:26 UTC
Post by Duke of URL
Please trim your headers. Thank you.
[...]

Please don't top-post.

Please don't cross-post unless you have something useful to say.

The last thing Usenet needs is to be inundated with the witterings
of Control Freaks.

Thank you.

VM.
Murchadh
2003-11-18 02:52:37 UTC
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:17:53 GMT, "-Whitewolf(Ray)"
Post by -Whitewolf(Ray)
[...]
And also to the victims of both father and son.
Post by -Whitewolf(Ray)
Ray
Murchadh.
Nik
2003-11-18 04:47:08 UTC
Post by -Whitewolf(Ray)
[...]
I would also like to extend my condolences to the Adams's.

Nik
jmorris
2003-11-19 04:38:09 UTC
Does it not bother anyone that Mr Adams was fighting againat
the English in 1942 while they were at war against Nazi Germany????
Believe me that, as a Welsh descendent I have no love of
the English treatment of non Englishmen, but for God's sake...
during war?!? Oh and what did the Irish do during the war???
Stand up and be proud.
Nik
Dr. Sunil
2003-11-19 16:58:35 UTC
Post by jmorris
Does it not bother anyone that Mr Adams was fighting againat
the English in 1942 while they were at war against Nazi Germany????
Believe me that, as a Welsh descendent I have no love of
the English treatment of non Englishmen, but for God's sake...
during war?!? Oh and what did the Irish do during the war???
Stand up and be proud.
Eastern Europeans, Italians, certain French and Spaniards didn't fight
on the German side?

And Colonies like India had plenty of Civil Disobedience aimed against
the Brits too.
michael adams
2003-11-19 17:14:39 UTC
Post by jmorris
Does it not bother anyone that Mr Adams was fighting againat
the English in 1942 while they were at war against Nazi Germany????
Believe me that, as a Welsh descendent
No my friend you're just another ignorant American who doesn't
even know the history of his own country. Heres another Welsh
descendant -

start quote:

The son of immigrant Welsh miners, John L. Lewis became one of
the most influential labor leaders in the U.S. during the early
part of the 20th century. His work to unionize the country's
industrial workers helped to raise the standard of living for
millions of American families.

In 1943, Lewis led over half a million miners in a two week strike
during the height of World War II.
This strike nearly crippled the American war effort
and Lewis became increasingly unpopular with the majority of Americans.
However, to miners and steel workers, Lewis was still viewed as a hero.

:end quote

http://www.witn.psu.edu/activities/newsmaker.phtml?show_id=2

Didn't you know that, eh?

Makes you really proud to be "of Welsh descent", eh Taffy?

michael adams

Harry Merrick
2003-11-21 17:40:06 UTC
Post by michael adams
Post by jmorris
Does it not bother anyone that Mr Adams was fighting againat
the English in 1942 while they were at war against Nazi Germany????
Believe me that, as a Welsh descendent
No my friend you're just another ignorant American
Tut! Tut! michael adams at his sneering smearing contrived best I see. Ad hominems and spite again! Dear me!

who doesn't
Post by michael adams
even know the history of his own country.
You cannot say that, since in this post American history was not evident.

Heres another Welsh
Post by michael adams
descendant -
WELSH!! - For God's sake, surely you can do better than *Welsh*!
Post by michael adams
The son of immigrant Welsh miners, John L. Lewis became one of
the most influential labor leaders in the U.S. during the early
part of the 20th century. His work to unionize the country's
industrial workers helped to raise the standard of living for
millions of American families.
Good for him!
Post by michael adams
In 1943, Lewis led over half a million miners in a two week strike
during the height of World War II.
This strike nearly crippled the American war effort
Hang his head in shame then! And the heads of all his supporters. He was obviously supporting the German war effort at the expense of many hundreds of British and Irish lives.
Post by michael adams
and Lewis became increasingly unpopular with the majority of Americans.
Not surprisingly, since he was a proven traitor.
Post by michael adams
However, to miners and steel workers, Lewis was still viewed as a hero.
They would say that, of course.
Post by michael adams
:end quote
Just as well.
Post by michael adams
http://www.witn.psu.edu/activities/newsmaker.phtml?show_id=2
Didn't you know that, eh?
What if he didn't? You obviously must be unemployed, wasting your time delving for such rubbish.
Post by michael adams
Makes you really proud to be "of Welsh descent", eh Taffy?
With a name such as Adams, one can only assume that you too are of Welsh descent, along with Gerry Adams, the scion of Sinn Féin/IRA. Wonderful how many pseudo Irish Republicans originate in Wales. One is constantly amazed at were they keep popping up from.

After that particular story, I would not be so keen to be seen to be "proud to be Welsh"!

Harry Merrick.
Duke of URL
2003-11-21 20:02:05 UTC
So who cares? He's in Hell now with his good friend and ally, Hitler.
Nik
2003-11-21 22:07:53 UTC
Post by jmorris
Does it not bother anyone that Mr Adams was fighting againat
the English in 1942 while they were at war against Nazi Germany????
Believe me that, as a Welsh descendent I have no love of
the English treatment of non Englishmen, but for God's sake...
during war?!? Oh and what did the Irish do during the war???
My Great Grandfather O'Connell fought against the Nazis. My
grandfather O'Connell was on his way, he was 19, at the end of the
war...

My Great-grandfather, who died as recently as 1983, was to his
deathbed resentful of Churchill's reneging on his "A nation once
again" promise...
Post by jmorris
Stand up and be proud.
I am.

Nik
max.it
2003-11-21 22:59:14 UTC
Post by Nik
Post by jmorris
Does it not bother anyone that Mr Adams was fighting againat
the English in 1942 while they were at war against Nazi Germany????
Believe me that, as a Welsh descendent I have no love of
the English treatment of non Englishmen, but for God's sake...
during war?!? Oh and what did the Irish do during the war???
My Great Grandfather O'Connell fought against the Nazis. My
grandfather O'Connell was on his way, he was 19, at the end of the
war...
My Great-grandfather, who died as recently as 1983, was to his
deathbed resentful of Churchill's reneging on his "A nation once
again" promise...
Post by jmorris
Stand up and be proud.
I am.
Nik
In my dealings I aquired a load of old "soldier" magazines.
Most from the 1950's &60's each issue had some sort of tribute to the Irish
regiments. I couldn't help reading them. I also have all the issues of time/bbc "the
british empire". I have had a bit of a read through these but I have to remember , I got
to flog them. Problem : too much reading not enough selling.

max.it (the orange cage)